The Importance of Regulatory Mailing Compliance for Print Communications
Are you a company communicating with consumers in regulated industries? Are your digital and print communications compliant? Is the most confident response you can muster a hesitant “maybe?”
Staying compliant with the often-changing and complex laws around customer communications is a big challenge. Add in the fact that these laws may vary across industries, or location, makes compliance even more difficult. Regulatory compliance of print communications is vital for your customers’ privacy and your business’ bottom line.
What’s At Stake?
Penalties for non-compliance can be hefty. Do you go to the same lengths to protect your printed documents as you do to protect electronic communications? In a world of cyber attacks and security breaches, many companies have overlooked necessary safeguards when it comes to their printed materials.
For example, medical companies make great efforts to protect their electronic data to remain in compliance with HIPAA regulations. However, they may need to outsource their print preparation for mailing. If the people handling those materials (patient claim forms, statements and other sensitive information) do not meet certain certification standards, the likelihood of security breaches or personal information theft increases.
HIPAA violation fines range from $50,000 to $1.5 million, depending on the severity and frequency of the offense. Your company could face some tough penalties if you’re found to be out of compliance.
Now is your opportunity to implement best practices to achieve compliance for the print communications delivered by your company. Whether you outsource your digital and printed communications or you handle it all in-house, there are a number of best practices that can help reduce your compliance risks, including:
- Use updated technologies such as file-based processing and 2D input scanning to embed handling instructions into print mailings. Each individual mail piece and its contents are serialized for full tracking and reporting.
- Track the postage spend for each mailing. If you’re running multiple campaigns, using software is recommended.
- Utilize the US Postal Services’ Intelligent Mail® barcode (IMb) to enable tracking and locating of individual mailings at any given time in the postal process.
- Maintain the highest security required by government and industry regulations for your company. Keeping the latest software and personnel practices will help you maintain compliance.
- If outsourcing, confirm your partner maintains current certifications in all areas necessary for compliance.
A Trusted Partner
If your industry is regulated, it is important to choose a communications partner that has the necessary data security accreditations and experience with clients in your sector. For more than 50 years, Venture has served clients in the compliance and regulatory industries, helping them successfully manage and deliver their critical communications on time and on budget. Let us partner with you and assure your compliance for communications in all channels. Get in touch today!